Start the morning of the day before surgery
- Drink 1 bottle of magnesium citrate (10 oz.) before noon
- Fleet’s enema after finishing the bottle
- Repeat fleet’s enema in the evening before bed
- Final fleet’s enema 30-40 minutes before leaving your home or hotel to come to the surgery.
At this time, the day before surgery, maintain a clear liquid diet.
These Items are allowed:
- Clear broths (chicken broth, beef broth, vegetable broth)
- Juices (apple juice, prune juice, lemonade, no red colored juices)
- Clear beverages (sodas)
- Ices/Jello ( Clear Jell-o, popsicles without fruit, Italian Ices)
Examples of items that are not allowed:
- Milk, milkshakes
- Orange juice, tomato juice, coffee
- Cream of Wheat, oatmeal
- Any soups other than clear broths, any solid food
You may drink unlimited amounts of clear liquids prior to midnight and are encouraged to drink as much as possible to prevent dehydration from the laxatives.
- If you are experiencing indigestion, cramps, nausea, or vomiting lie down and rest. Continue to drink fluids, but not coffee. Do not smoke. You may take 1 to 2 teaspoons of Maalox or Mylanta.
- If you vomit more than twice please call our office (650) 326-6800
- If you have severe diarrhea and feel weak, continue to take liquids